Tooth Extractions In North Lakes
Gentle and caring
At Mango Hill Dental, we would prefer to keep your natural teeth. However, there are times in which the best solution is for teeth to be extracted.
Tooth Extraction Procedure
Many people, at one point in their lives, will undergo a dental surgical extraction. It is a common procedure which involves receiving a local anaesthetic to numb your mouth, or a specific area. After the anaesthetic is given, the dentist loosens the tooth and removes it.
Pain and Anxiety
It is normal to feel anxious when going to the dentist, especially when you will be awake during the procedure. We take pain and anxiety management very seriously, so we always discuss your needs and reservations with you to ensure you are completely comfortable for your procedure.
Dental extraction wounds take generally 1 – 2 weeks to heal. During this time, you may experience some bleeding. Although it may appear like a lot, blood mixes with saliva in your mouth, making it seem more than it actually is.
You may also experience increased sensitivity to hot and cold food. Patients are advised to consume soft foods and to limit chewing to the side of their mouth where the tooth was not pulled.
However, your dentist will give you the aftercare information relevant to your individual situation and will provide you with pain-relief scripts if necessary.
Reasons for Extraction
Before we decide to do a tooth extraction, we will investigate other options like root canal, antibiotics or more regular cleaning and dental management. If these options aren’t working or aren’t appropriate for the state of your teeth and gums, then extraction will be considered.
During the pre-extraction procedures, your dentist will ask you to receive teeth x-rays to fully determine your individual situation.
Some of the reasons your teeth may need to be extracted include:
- A crowded mouth
- Infection in the tooth – especially if tooth decay extends to the nerve
- Risk of infection – if the patient is going through chemotherapy or an organ transplant, an infection can be serious
- Unmanageable or severe gum disease (periodontal)
- Wisdom teeth – not all wisdom teeth will need to be removed, but there are times in which they will need removal. Wisdom/molar tooth extraction is necessary when they come out at an awkward or uncomfortable angle, which can lead to infections and decay
- A broken tooth
Before you self-diagnose, come in for a consultation so we can use our expertise and experience to give you a realistic diagnosis and subsequent treatment options.
During a consultation, we can also discuss fees involved for your specific treatment.
If you’d like to find out about tooth extraction at Mango Hill Dental or make an appointment for a consultation, call our friendly team now on (07) 4736 8114 or visit our contact page for more ways to get in touch.
* Any surgical or invasive procedure caries risks, before proceeding, you should seek a second opinion from an appropriately qualified health practitioner.Meet The Team Book Now